DIY Pickup

I finally got around to trying my hand at spinning my own guitar pickup for a four string. I have always been curious about it so took the step after purchasing a small spool of 6,000 feet of .42 magwire for about $7 from a vendor on Amazon. Well technically this could be construed as my second attempt since the first spool I ordered was damaged so the wire kept breaking. The second spindle was great.

For spinning I had a piece of wood that I put a bolt through which would go into my drill as any drill bit would and used Velcro to hold it in place. I had a small box laying around and drilled a hole through it to retain the wire for feeding to the pickup and then used a box paper clip to guide the wire along with my finger for the back and forth horizontal movement while spinning. I have an idea using a reel from a fishing pole but that’s only on paper right now.

I visually spun the pickup with no counter to tell me how many winds but I did look up the reference for how many spins per minute my drill was capable of at high speed which was 1450 RPM. I would not be using full RPM but more half so I worked out how many minutes I would need based on that. I did previously modify a 99 Cent Store calculator for the endeavor but didn’t use it, opting for the quite simplistic setup I used instead. If I decide to spin more I will make a more proper spinner.

For the soldering of the leads I used a dremel with the smallest drill bit, drilled two holes and used brass brad nails which were perfect. I soldered the leads and used my test meter to make sure I had the correct ohms.

When finished I added four neodymium magnets at the bottom which are just a little larger than the heads of each nail used and tested the pickup on a test rig which is simply a 14 inch board that has a make-shift bridge, nut, steel strings and a couple of zither pins. There is really no design requirement for such a thing so your design can be any one as you see fit since it is just to test the pickup before going through all the trouble of mounting it in the project and then finding out it is a worthless POS.

The pickup actually sounds quite good for my first ever spun and I will update this post at some point with a sound file of it. I did not dip this (wax it) but I did wrap it in some twine for that old DIY slapped together look so I am curious how it will behave at higher harmonics. More will probably follow once I get it into a project I am working on. Please enjoy the pics from this project.

Guitar Hangers

DSCN0095I made a couple of guitar hangers (inspired by Brodafin’s YouTube channel) for my creations within the things I was doing this Memorial Day weekend.

Not having a band saw, I drew out the first one, held the three pieces of wood together in a vice and then used a hand scroll saw to rough cut just outside the boundary of the guitar drawing. After that I held them together with a clamp and used a hand rasp and heavy grit sandpaper to finish the shaping.

It was rather meticulous and took me several hours. A glutton for punishment I guess but I could at least brag about the sweat that went into making them. Anyone can use a band saw but not everyone works in the 90 percent range with just hand tools let alone have the patience for that.

So once I was done working on each guitar backing I rounded the edges a bit, sanded them with some light grit 220 and gave them a bit of stain. A bit darker on the guitar backings and lighter on the holder pegs. I may change the holder pegs though as I am bending towards not liking how much of an angle I used. It was as the Brodafin’s plans though. Anyways, I cant wait to finish them up a bit and install them.

 

DIY tablet holder

What you can make with a little cardboard and packing tape. Works just as well, I save some cash and Im recycling.

Hovercraft toy for the kids

Toy Hovercraft

Toy Hovercraft

I made a toy hovercraft for my kids out of a heat-sink fan from a laptop, a 9 volt battery and a salad container. Center placement of the fan and battery is key to get an even balance so air is evenly distributed.

I have videos of the stages of making it on my YouTube site and overall it was a nice little project that recycled items that would otherwise be sitting in a landfill somewhere.